As a regular pub quizzer I decided to put out something else - specially as our league has now been suspended.
So Catholic Quiz 1. Hymns of our Blessed Lady. Answers in a couple of days with Quiz 2.
1. Which Catholic priest and historian wrote the very popular hymn - "Hail, Queen of Heaven"?
2. The hymn "Mary from thy Sacred Image" is dedicated to Our Lady of a) Ransom. b) Perpetual Succour/Unfailing Help or c) Czestochowa?
3. The composers Jean-Paul Lecot and l'Abbe Paul Decha (RIP) are associated with which Marian Shrine?
4. At the close of Compline otherwise The Night Prayer of the Church, which Marian antiphon is sung/said during Eastertide?i
5. The hymn "O Mother blest" is attributed to which saint, is it a) St Joan of Arc b) St Alphonsus Liguori or c) St Maximilian Kolbe?
6. The Reverend Sabine Baring Gould (1834-1924) translated the Basque Carol "Gabriel's Message" also known as "The Angel Gabriel from heaven came" but what is the title of his best known hymn, now rarely sung?
7. "None had ever owned thee, dear Mother but He" is taken from which beloved Marian hymn?
8. Which hymn to Our Blessed Lady, written in 1873 by the French priest Jean Gaignet originally contained 8 verses but the good abbé apparently expanded it to 120?
9. Complete - "Magnificat ----- --- Dominum"
10. Which Eucharistic hymn contains these words: " Had I but Mary's sinless heart...…"?
11. The tune often called the Sicilian Mariners’ Hymn is a tune to which Marian hymn?
12. The Reverend Vincent Stuckey Stratton Coles (1845-1929), an Anglican Divine, wrote a well known hymn to Our Lady (except stanza 4), the last line to every verse being " Hail Mary, Hail Mary, Hail Mary full of Grace". Name the hymn.
13. Which Marian hymn by St Bernard of Cluny was found beneath the right temple of St Casimir's (or Kazimierz) incorrupt body when his grave was opened?
14. The above mentioned hymn is better known in English as...……?
15. Which hymn sees the sweet flow'rets we have culled?